Student Media/University of Windsor – CJAM 99.1 FM – is hiring for the position of MUSIC DIRECTOR. This salaried part time position is 20 hours per week.
CJAM is a nonprofit volunteer-driven campus-based community radio station. We provide music and information programming not offered by mainstream commercial media in the Windsor/Detroit area. We serve people and groups within the community who are under represented or maligned by mainstream media by allowing a forum to express their views.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION – The Music Director is responsible for all aspects of the Music Department. Working with staff, management, volunteers, record labels, artists, and management companies, the successful applicant will help fulfill CJAM’s mandate of providing the community with quality alternative music programming that is in compliance with CJAM and CRTC policy. Please apply via email to email@example.com. The application deadline is May 24th at 5PM.
- Conducting weekly audits for CanCon, working with the Program Director to ensure non-compliant programmers are engaged
- Work with all staff in terms of identifying on-air issues around hits, profanity, and other problematic programmer behavior, as well as assist the Program Director in reviewing and evaluating music programs
- Work alongside volunteers and the music review committee, to review and process all incoming music at CJAM FM (via mail and otherwise)
- Take care of the music library with regards to order, accessibility, and security
- Ensuring all appropriate genres of music are represented in the on-air studio
-Fill in as a DJ when needed
- Host between 0.5 and 2 hours of programming per week
- Compose charts from DJ Logs, and report charts to trade magazines and labels
- Handle all requests and actively seek out interview and concert ticket opportunities for volunteers and listeners by contacting record labels, artists, and management companies
- Take tracking calls from record and promotion companies
- Engaging with labels that provide special needs content (ie. French language and Aboriginal) for CJAM’s mandate and specialty show mandates
- Organization of CD/vinyl giveaways and amass a collection of music for CJAMs annual fundraising drive
- Work with music DJs, the Program Director, and the Station Manager to ensure that programmers have the music content they require, as well as Canadian content
- complying with CJAM policy regarding the confidentiality of CJAM’s internal workings and business
- Make all decisions in CJAM’s best interest
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and listening skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Computer and basic radio/audio production skills
TERMS: 20 Hours Per Week
SALARY: $16,000-$17,000 to start, depending on experience. Please apply via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 24 2017. Please include your resume and cover letter as part of your application. Only qualified applicants selected for interviews by the Hiring Committee will be contacted. The application deadline is May 24th at 5PM.
CJAM is an anti-sexist, anti-racist, anti-homophobic organization committed to diversity and equity. We strongly encourage applications from all visible and non-visible minorities. Where there is equity in qualifications preference will be given to minority applicants.